That Time I Turned Twenty-Three

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

This past weekend, I celebrated twenty-three years of life. If you talked to me in the preceding month or so, you know that I wasn't excited for this birthday. I've always had an affinity for even numbers, so this very odd, very mundane year felt like a page I'd rather skip over. Then, hours before the clock struck midnight, my godmother pointed out that 23 is a prime number. And it dawned on me that sometimes things don't seem so great, and sometimes we have to work to find the positive–but there is always a positive.

Per tradition, I've found a quote that I'm assigning to this prime year:


I am beyond lucky to have a job that I love and that allows me to serve others in a way that makes a real impact. This quote struck a chord with me because I think it gets at the heart of the pursuit of happiness. Finding what you love is a pursuit, you're constantly seeking ways to translate that passion into your work and lifestyle, and that's what brings about happiness. I love that he framed this as serving because, in all honesty, that's what we should be doing for each other–serving, empowering and uplifting.

And now, to look back on twenty-two. I rounded out my college career, started a new career, struggled a little in figuring out who I am, welcomed a new nephew, loved my family, made new friends and grew immensely. I fell off the blog wagon, found an incredible job that I love and a hobby in running (& ran a half marathon), spent countless hours on the phone checking in on friends and family, bumped up my savings account, hustled hard and gave 100% to everything I did.

For twenty-three, things look a little different. I've begun my life career and am working hard to build a life around it. This year, it's all about the open horizon. I don't have any mile markers like I've had previously with school years and graduations. There are no limits and no wait-until-afters, only a beautiful, open book that I plan to fill. And with that, here are some things I want for myself this year:

  • Travel somewhere new
  • Visit friends and family more
  • Keep up with running
  • Finish a book for fun
  • Learn some solid recipes
  • Remember that self-care is important
  • But never stop reaching for your dreams

Well folks, it looks like it's bound to be an interesting year. I can't wait to see what it brings!

 photo 4c7c3792-4cab-4378-973e-a9aba709ab12_zps08fdd915.jpg

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Please share your thoughts! Exercising the first amendment is always appreciated in my book.