That Time I Celebrated International Women's Day

Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Today, March 8th, 2016, is International Women's Day, and I couldn't be prouder to be a female!

At Heshima Kenya, we've been celebrating for a while now, and it's inspired me to speak out about how I feel. Today is more than just women loving the fact that they have two X chromosomes, it's about remembering that we still have so much work to do for equality for each other.

photo via unsplash
Before political beliefs start flying around like dough in a pizzeria, it's important to note that not everything boils down to laws or economics or even catchy movements.

International Women's Day is about the fundamental belief that we exist on this earth as equals. It has come to my attention several times in the past month how essential it is to understand that we did not do anything to deserve what we have more than any other human being. The fact that I am able to sit in a very comfortable bed in a plush apartment with electricity, cooking gas, hot water - or running water, for that matter - and wifi that allows me to type up these sentences on a pretty laptop...I did nothing to end up as blessed as I am.



With that in mind, I'll bring in a new favorite mantra: to much is given, much is required.

Most of us were insanely lucky to be born in a place where the standard of living is rather plush, but it means absolutely nothing if we don't realize it. Our situation is wasted if we don't use it.

So I'm challenging you, in my first fairly opinionated post, to take this day seriously. Take your life seriously. Take your influence, your intelligence, your passion, your network seriously, and do something about the massive inequality that still exists in all the corners of this world. Stop thinking that it's normal and start thinking of ways to fix it.

We may not be able to create a perfectly equal world, but even one more person in the fight for humanity is such a huge win.

Join me and thousands of others in a #PledgeForParity today!

 photo 4c7c3792-4cab-4378-973e-a9aba709ab12_zps08fdd915.jpg

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Please share your thoughts! Exercising the first amendment is always appreciated in my book.