That Time I Planned A Charity Event

Saturday, April 18, 2015

First of all, it's over. Finished, done-zo, it has come to an end.

The last month and a half, I poured my everything into a philanthropy event for my sorority, and while I knew it would be an experience to remember, I ended up learning a heck of a lot more than I thought I would.

photo via Style Me Pretty
Because I really wish someone had gone through everything with me before I signed up, happily agreeing to take on a life-consuming project, I have decided to share with you all my successes and mistakes:

  1. Make sure your schedule will allow for it. The crazy hours and last minute details happen. Get things done ahead of time, ask for smaller projects at work and let the people around you know that you'll be MIA. Because you will be MIA at some point. 
  2. Find a good, small team of dedicated people. Lots of people will say they want to help, and that's great. But you need at least 2-3 individuals who will answer your texts at 12am asking if something was done. 
  3. Plan ahead, but expect some bumps. I did an insane amount of work before the actual event, and it helped a lot. But there were inevitably some hiccups during the actual event, which maybe I could have avoided...hindsight is 20/20. Do the best you can. 
  4. Keep lists. Lists of things you need, lists of tasks for people, lists of vendors, lists of sponsors, lists of when you need to get things done. Seriously. List-o-mania. Your brain will thank you. 
  5. Market early and market often. People will come if they know about it. Get the word out months in advance. Invite important people who will talk it up for you. Throw out teasers leading up to the day. Social media, posters, invitations, word-of-mouth. Use every medium you've got. 
  6. Delegate, delegate, delegate. This is something I struggle with, because I want everything to be perfect, so I often take on too much. Write out your instructions and send them along - you can't do it all, but you can get others to help. 
  7. Inform your team. Your dedicated team should know everything, every step of the way. Sometimes I left out details because I would forget to mention them, or didn't think they were necessary...they are. Three people who know the ins & outs of your event is a heck of a lot nicer than just one. On that note, make time to brief everyone who is helping before the event. It'll run more smoothly. (And I wish I had done that.) 
  8. Eat, drink and be merry. On the day of, despite your nerves, make room for some food and always carry a bottle of water on you. Most importantly, if you've followed the above, you really should be able to sit back and relax. There is nothing worse than planning an event and not being able to see it. Even if you have to stay behind the scenes, give yourself a few minutes to breathe and watch what you created!
Now that I am back to the real world, expect a lot more from Em La Jolie!

Have you ever planned a charity event before? Any advice I missed?

 photo 4c7c3792-4cab-4378-973e-a9aba709ab12_zps08fdd915.jpg

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Please share your thoughts! Exercising the first amendment is always appreciated in my book.