That Time You Fell In Love With Me

Saturday, March 28, 2015

A while back, two of my favorite bloggers, Pretty & Fun and corals + cognacs published posts about a New York Times article that claimed to have falling in love down to a science. As in, they claim to know how to make anyone fall in love with anyone. It has a lot to do with vulnerability and a whole lot more to do with honesty. Like anyone, I'm still a skeptic, but I love answering questions so I thought I'd give this a shot. Taking a page from Cait & Hallie's book (or blog?) I'm writing these responses to and for YOU!

So I officially challenge you to try it out - post on your blog, in the comments or e-mail your answers to me, I'd love to hear them!


I've chosen a selection of the 36 questions because, despite the fact that I adore writing about myself, I know most of you don't have that kind of time. Without further ado, get ready to fall in love:

1. Would you like to be famous? In what way?
I'd like to be famous after I've passed away, because I don't want to be under scrutiny, but I hope that my work will make an impact on the world in such a way that people will remember what I did.
2. Before making a telephone call, do you ever rehearse what you are going to say? Why?
I always give myself time to think of the first sentence or two while I'm dialing, but mostly I just wing it!

3. If you were able to live to the age of 90 and retain either the mind or body of a 30-year-old for the last 60 years of your life, which would you want?
What a question. My grandfather recently passed away at 103 years of age, and his mind had been as sharp as a tack until the last few years. I know how tough it was for him to be mentally sharp, but not have the body to match. It would be a lot easier to have a dull mind - ignorance is bliss, right? However, my intelligence is one of the things I value the very most about myself, so I'd still have to choose mind over body.

4. Do you have a secret hunch about how you will die?
No, but I'm convinced I won't be very old.

5. Name three things you and your partner (a.k.a. you, my readers!) appear to have in common.
a) We're fabulous, b) We love to travel and learn, c) We're figuring this life out, one day at a time!

6. For what in your life do you feel most grateful?
The absolutely amazing people that are consistently placed in my life. I honestly don't know how I get so lucky, but everywhere I go and with every change I make, I have the best support network.

7. If you could change anything about the way you were raised, what would it be?
I know this sounds cliché, but I wouldn't change anything. It all led me to where I am today, and I wouldn't trade that for the world.

8. If you could wake up tomorrow having gained any one quality or ability, what would it be?
Anything? The ability to not need sleep. Realistically? The ability to always say the right thing.

9. What is the greatest accomplishment of your life?
I don't have one single accomplishment I'm most proud of, because they've all impacted me in different ways. The two that stand out at the moment, however, are my exchange year in France to learn the language and my work as an employment intern for refugees with an anti-poverty organization.

10. What do you value most in a friendship?
Adventure and interesting conversation

11. What is your most treasured memory?
Riding camels at night in the desert - and actually, anything to do with Morocco. I word vomit about that country all the darn time.

12. What is your most terrible memory?
Receiving a phone call about the passing of my childhood nanny.

13. If you knew that in one year you would die suddenly, would you change anything about the way you are now living? Why?
Yes. I would work more for a few months and save every penny I have to spend half of the year traveling. The memories from my adventures abroad are half of the reason I keep going.

14. What does friendship mean to you?
Friendship means understanding, trust and sincerity.

15. What, if anything, is too serious to be joked about? 
People's beliefs. There is nothing worse than someone making fun of the way another lives his/her life based on intellectual, physical, religious or personal beliefs. We're all in this together.

Now it's your turn! Throw your responses in the comments below or, if you're not such a public person, I check my e-mail on the daily: emlajolie@gmail.com

 photo 4c7c3792-4cab-4378-973e-a9aba709ab12_zps08fdd915.jpg

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Please share your thoughts! Exercising the first amendment is always appreciated in my book.