My Grateful Heart: Thanksgiving Edition

Thursday, November 27, 2014

This special edition of My Grateful Heart is dedicated to all of my fellow Americans on this lovely holiday! Most years, I have been lucky enough to sit around a dining table with a giant, carved turkey, a beautiful place setting and my close family and friends. This year, I have to spend it across the ocean from it all, which has really put things into perspective for me. I have always been close with my family, and we have had some amazing memories because of it, but it truly hit me how much I value family in my life when I realized I wouldn't be home to celebrate with them. My first Thanksgiving away, back in 2011 during my exchange year, was one of the toughest points of my year abroad. It hurt that I couldn't go home to my cinnamon-scented home and help my parents prepare the feast. But mostly, it hurt that I couldn't convey what Thanksgiving meant to my foreign family. It is such a unique holiday to North America, and it was such a unique realization for me.

Now, I understand better its meaning, but that doesn't make it any less important to reflect on all of the blessings I am able to count presently and during the past year!

Photo via Saveur
  • Two loving, generous parents who I can also call my friends & biggest fans
  • A father that does what he loves and loves what he does, and encourages me to never settle
  • A mother who listens to my every thought, worry and whim, and teaches me to love
  • An amazing inspiration of a brother, who shows me every day that hard work pays off
  • A gorgeous, lively sister-in-law that loves me despite my flaws
  • A wonderful best friend that has been there for me through thick and thin
  • Incredible roommates that have become like family
  • A great support network and sorority at my university
  • The best Big, Littles and GrandLittles I could have hoped for
  • My good health and physical being
  • Access to clean water
  • The ability to travel and experience the world while I am young
  • The opportunity to learn from great teachers with students from all walks of life
  • A heart open to adventure
  • My ambition to keep moving forward
  • Shelter and food, no matter where I am
  • Clothing that fits and keeps me warm during the chilly winter months
  • The mental and fiscal means to take classes I enjoy
  • Expanding this blog and growing in my writing
  • Being able to capture great moments in photos and videos
  • Music, in all of its glory
  • Keeping in touch with old friends and making new ones along this journey
  • Knowing that I am never alone
  • My beautiful guardian angel, who follows me in all my travels

What are you thankful for this Thanksgiving?
 
 photo 4c7c3792-4cab-4378-973e-a9aba709ab12_zps08fdd915.jpg

1 comment:

Please share your thoughts! Exercising the first amendment is always appreciated in my book.