That Time I Had A Case Of Post-Travel Blues

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

It may not be a malady in the giant book that all doctors have, but let me tell you, Post-Travel Blues is realer than real. You may be thinking I have no room to complain because I'm in Paris, but getting back from a trip, no matter how small, always weighs heavy on my heart because I realize how much of the world there is to see and how trivial it is to sit in one place for too long. I also tend to fall in love with new cities very easily, and this time was no exception.

image via Pinterest
My roommates and I just returned from our Fall Break trip to Dublin, Budapest & Prague. Before you ask me why this isn't a post filled with photos, I'll tell you that I have some awesome city-centered posts coming up - there's just so much to tell about each place, I didn't want to jumble it all together!

After a whirlwind 10-day vacation, we are back in our little Paris apartment, back to classes and back to the crazy amount of work that comes with it all. But before I dive into all the readings, essays and catch-up work I need to check off my list, I wanted to throw together some things I learned from my little adventure:
  • Do not expect to like any of the clothes you pack in a small suitcase after wearing them every way possible for ten days straight 
  • Always get to the train/plane/bus station early - you never know how long it will take to find your platform/gate/stop
  • Know that when there is free Wifi, the conversation will stop indefinitely and you will all be glued to your phones; just accept it 
  • Staying in hostels pretty much guarantees being awoken by a loud snorer...bring ear plugs 
  • Always choose the local spirit-of-choice  
  • Bring a stash of granola bars (even if your fellow travelers make fun of you, they'll appreciate it when you're not hangry & staging a protest in the street for food...) 
  • Face mist makes the day better 
  • RyanAir planes look like a flying McDonald's - the sooner you can get used to this, the better
  • Take every opportunity you get, no matter how late it is or how tired you are 
  • You will be sore from walking all the time
  • Make some plans in advance (buying tickets off your smartphone with questionable Wifi is an option, but it can definitely be avoided) 
  • Bring a good book, even if you don't think you'll have time to read
  • Write down a few phrases in the native language of each country you'll visit - even if you butcher pronunciations, you'll be happy to have some knowledge of their tongue
  • Flexibility is everything
  • Stay positive! Nothing ruins a trip quite like a sour attitude
Now, in between papers and presentations, you can bet that I'll be planning our next adventure...can you guess where I'll go next?

You'll find out soon enough ;) 

Have you ever suffered from Post-Travel Blues? Any advice for how to get over it (other than planning another trip)?

 photo 4c7c3792-4cab-4378-973e-a9aba709ab12_zps08fdd915.jpg

1 comment:

  1. I'm getting over my post travel blues by eating baguettes and catching up on the TV I missed :)

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts! Exercising the first amendment is always appreciated in my book.