Cooking With Em: California Rolls

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Summer is the perfect time for sushi, since the heat hardly ever has me craving a full-fledged meal. Instead, I'll opt for small snacks, preferably not warm food and anything that is easy to eat. Hello, California roll!


Yesterday, my friends and I decided to try our hand at making our own sushi rolls. Hannah, whose lovely hands you will see pictured below, is an expert at the art of sushi rolling, so she helped out a lot. But I like to think that I played some part in its success too.

We started with a bowl of cooked, white rice (it's best if you make it in a rice cooker), rice vinegar and white sugar. We also prepped the insides of our rolls: cucumbers, avocados & crab sticks [not pictured].


Then we added equal parts sugar/rice vinegar to the rice - I believe we ended up using a little more vinegar just because sweet rice wasn't hitting the spot. We mixed this through and then spread the rice onto a pan evenly.


We divided the pan into thirds to make three rolls, sprinkled sesame seeds onto the bamboo roller and put the first third on top of this. We also made one where we put the seaweed down first, but it all depends on whether you want rice on the outside or inside of your roll. Then, as you might have guessed, the seaweed was put on top of the rice and our lovely toppings lined up across the length of the seaweed sheet.



The toughest part of this was rolling; it's really important that you go slowly and make sure it is rolled tightly. This is also the point where you find out whether you did the rice correctly.


Overall, our sushi rolls turned out quite well. The best part about the recipe is that you can make it whatever you want it to be. While ours wasn't exactly Michelin-rating quality, we had fun struggling with loose rice and soy sauce - an impossible combination, if you ask me. And now that I'm past the point of being intimidated by this fancy finger food, I cannot wait to make more!


Have you ever made sushi? What were some of your success/failures? What are your favorite types of rolls?

XOXO,
Em

Follow on Bloglovin

3 comments:

  1. I love this; as a sushi lover myself, this looks and sounds delicious. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been dying to learn how to make sushi. I really love cucumber rolls, they would definitely be a perfect summer snack! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in the same boat, but it's seriously so easy! You'll have to try it out soon and let me know how it goes! :)

      Delete

Please share your thoughts! Exercising the first amendment is always appreciated in my book.