If We Were Having Coffee...

Thursday, June 26, 2014

I'll be honest, I wish this post idea had been my own stroke of genius, but I actually found it on one of my favorite bloggers, The True Life of KMK, who found it on The Rachael Way. And then I found it on my girl Liz's blog, This, That, & The Other Thing (I know, we have the same site design because we're twins, it's cool).

Suffice it to say, this is not original. However, I loved it enough to sacrifice my desire to be the "first" and instead I will be one of many. No idea is ever truly original anyway, right?


If we were having coffee, you would know that I like you enough to sit down and give you some of my time. And I would know that I am important enough to get some of yours. Time is precious.

We would probably be at a cool coffee shop in Chicago, the latest one that I found through Facebook, Instagram or word-of-mouth. I would order a dark roast with soy - or a cappuccino if I'm feeling risky, undoubtedly a couple of croissants and we would sit in a cozy corner.

I would ask you what is new in your life and we would chat about our daily craziness. If I've known you for a while, we might even reminisce on the "good ole days," and whatever that means.

If we were having coffee, you would hear about everything I'm doing right now. From my online classes to my summer adventures to my plans for Paris in the fall. Perhaps you'd even hear about my future (since I think about it 50% of the time) and how I'm pretty keen on the Peace Corps or teaching English abroad. Then we would talk about travel. I would pick your brain on all the countries you've visited/known and all the languages you speak.

I'd tell you that I'm nervous to go abroad again, because it changes everything about my life, but that I'm excited to travel, meet new people and see old friends. You would joke around about coming to visit and I would tell you seriously that my door is always open. 

We would get refills and continue talking about our dreams.

I would give you the latest spiel on my major, which has transformed into International Studies with a double minor in Journalism & French. You would ask me what I want to do with that and I would explain what the Foreign Service is. You would tell me about your job and your major. I would gush about my job at DePaul and how I love my co-workers.

You would ask me about my family and I would say everything is swell. I might show you a picture of my cat. I would tell you about my brother returning from deployment and how I get to see him at his wedding in December. You would tell me about your family and I would probably be jealous of how big/tight-knit you all are. Then we might talk about what we want in a family someday. And then I would tell you the latest type of dog I'm obsessed with, even though it's been a French bulldog for a while and I don't think that will change.

The coffee would get cold and the crumbs from our croissants would sit like confetti on the table. 

If we were having coffee, I would be so incredibly happy to have the chance to sit down with you, face-to-face and take a break from our tech-y lives. I would make plans with you to do it again in the near future, or maybe to go somewhere else like lunch, a market, shopping, whatever our hearts desire. Then we would stand up, hug and go our separate ways (but not without a to-go cup).


Like this post? Feel free to steal the idea (again) and link back! 

XOXO,
Em

Follow on Bloglovin

3 comments:

  1. Lovely!
    I wonder what would happen if you had 'coffee' with Gigi.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! It's such a great way to get to know more about you. You're so right that time is such a precious thing. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. Yours is wonderful, and I'm happy to "meet" you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! You're too sweet - I can't wait to keep up with your style posts, love your timeless style and definitely need more inspiration of the kind for my wardrobe :)

      Delete

Please share your thoughts! Exercising the first amendment is always appreciated in my book.