That Time I Tried My Hand At Calligraphy

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

I have been a busy bee this quarter, and while I love it, I haven't had time to keep up with you all as of late! But better late than never, right?


Last Tuesday evening, my friend and sister, Lauren, and I went to a calligraphy workshop through Dabble (if you haven't heard of this website yet and you live in Chicago, go check it out immediately - it will change your life). The class was an hour and a half and only $20 - what a steal! We arrived to the venue early (it was at Bar Toma downtown) to grab a little food and chat. I highly recommend Bar Toma by the way; even though I didn't try the pizza, it looked and smelled absolutely delicious.


The class was being held in the back so the hustle and bustle of diners wasn't an issue. Lauren and I quickly made friends with the woman sitting next to us, a Colorado native, and we bonded over the horrid weather. Meg, our teacher, was probably the best calligraphy teacher you could hope for. She welcomed us all with a huge smile, started off with a small icebreaker and let everyone move at their own pace as she taught us different tips and tricks to holding the pen.


I'll be honest, I didn't take to the whole calligraphy thing immediately. I really was kind of wretched at first. But through trial and error, I can proudly say my writing looked half decent at the end of the ninety minutes. Yay!

My sad, first attempts...
Well on my way to a professional career!

The best part of the evening was really just getting to sit down with one of my best friends and laugh as we doodled and compared letters. Lauren was much better than I, but in my defense, she used to be an art major and is now in graphic design. You don't have to be artsy to major in International Studies or French.




Did I mention we got to keep the pens? I'm even thinking about picking up a couple more on Amazon...

Have you ever tried calligraphy?  What did you think? Any suggestions for Dabble classes to try?
 
XOXO,
Em

2 comments:

  1. I've wanted to try calligraphy ever since I interned at a weddings magazine and worked with some amazing calligraphers! My sister got me a calligraphy kit for my birthday, but I'm thinking learning from a pro would be so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, it sounds like you already have a good head start, your internship must have been so fun! You should definitely try a class, I honestly learned so much (and my handwriting is usually scribble so this was quite impressive for me)!

      Delete

Please share your thoughts! Exercising the first amendment is always appreciated in my book.