Cooking With Em: Chocolate Cake

Monday, January 6, 2014

I've never met a chocolate cake I didn't like, but when my roommate and I decided to bake a cake for our third roommate, I just knew it had to be perfect. I will admit that I used a box cake mix, but there was still a bit that went into it - especially the mixing without an electric mixer! I said I wouldn't tell my secret ingredient, but it was too delicious not to share: coffee grounds. I read somewhere that coffee brings out the flavors in chocolate, and honestly, I should have thought of it first with all the mochas I've consumed in my life. I thought this would be the perfect time to try it out, so I sprinkled in a half a tablespoon of French Roast coffee grounds from Trader Joe's, knowing that no one would mind if the coffee flavor came out too strong.

The amount of batter was too much for one pan, and with our dinky oven, I figured two smaller cakes would cook more evenly. So we decided upon a layer cake. Now, I've never done layer cakes before but how hard could it be? ...surprisingly easy!

Before filling the two, 8-inch round pans, we greased them with butter and put a thin layer of flour so they would pop out more easily (thank goodness we did!) and stay in tact for the layering. After baking, we let them cool for a good hour or so before lifting them out of their pans and lathering on the frosting. By the time I finished putting a slight decoration in the frosting, I was incredibly proud. Who says college students can't cook?

Once everyone had arrived, we made a unanimous decision to decorate the cake with a gold dusting - kudos to my roommate's boyfriend for doing the honors! Aside from the slight lopsided-ness and the lack of frosting on the sides - one can is simply not enough - it turned out beautifully. And it tasted even better than I could have imagined.

Have a look for yourself:




When is the last time you baked something new? Any advice for an amateur baker? 

XOXO,
Em

2 comments:

  1. I gained three happy LBs this weekend thanks to July 4th festivities and now I'm about to gain 3 more just lusting over that chocolate cake! AH! Looks wonderful.

    xo,

    Meg

    http://www.MegLovesIt.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely understand that - so much food this past weekend! But I just tack an extra ten minutes onto my workout because it's worth it. ;)

      And thank you - try the recipe when you have company sometime, it goes like hotcakes!

      Delete

Please share your thoughts! Exercising the first amendment is always appreciated in my book.