What You Need to Know...Living with Girls

Friday, October 18, 2013



Living with other people was never really tough for me. I'd only lived "on my own" once and that was when I was still back home. But otherwise, I've always loved and even fought for living with others. My exchange students, my French sisters, my cabin mates at various summer camps...the list goes on. But living with two other girls in an apartment during my second year of college has proven a little more difficult.

They all say that too much estrogen in one household is catastrophic - I don't know how sorority houses do it. And while neither of my roommates nor I have ever considered ourselves to be very girly, nevertheless, we found ourselves dramatically balling our eyes out and talking about our feelings on the kitchen floor one afternoon. The fact remains the same.

We are all women. We are all moody. And on top of that, we are all stressed to the max with an overwhelming sophomore year course load.

After one giant heart-to-heart, we've all come to the conclusion that there are just some things we need to face that haven't needed facing before.

  1. Communication; this is the most important because everything that could possibly go wrong will stem from this. Talk, talk, talk! It's better to be bitter for a moment than upset for a week.
  2. Habits; everyone comes from a different background and it's tough sometimes to accept other people's habits since they may differ from your own house rules. Learn to accept them.
  3. Gestures; that smile, encouraging pep talk, or mug of hot tea says a lot more than you think. Your roommates are most likely your friends and if they aren't, they should be. Be there for them and know that they'll be there for you when you're trudging home from a long, defeating day!

Do you have female roommates? What advice would you give for getting along with them?

XOXO,
Em

1 comment:

Please share your thoughts! Exercising the first amendment is always appreciated in my book.