That Time I Went Through Recruitment

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

After my Friday night filled with girl talk, Cosmo, Nan's sushi, Ben & Jerry's, and Sex & the City, I woke up on Saturday morning ready to attack the first day of panhellenic recruitment at DePaul. I'll be honest, at first I wasn't too keen on the idea of spending four hours standing around and chatting with a bunch of girls I don't know. Don't get me wrong, I love spending time with my girl friends, but too much estrogen is just that...too much. But I went into the student center with a smile on anyway. And I was actually surprised at how fun the whole day turned out to be! After the first couple conversations, I'd started getting the hang of this small talk thing. And if I can do it, anybody can.

Tips on Being a Potential New Member (PNM) #1:
  • SMILE
  • Ask any and all questions you have
  • Research the sororities a bit and throw in a question about a philanthropy event you know they hold or a tradition you'd seen they have
  • Remember their names!!
  • After meeting each chapter, give yourself enough time to collect your thoughts and how you felt about the girls
  • After each round, rank the chapters. You'll be able to review how you felt last time and how that's changed
The more I think about it, the more excited I get about joining a sorority. The girls of all ages and backgrounds, the network, the philanthropy, the connections, and just having a place I belong. I mean, I've always found a place where I've belonged. But I just can't wait to find a new one!

This was only the beginning though, I still have plenty more rounds this week. So we'll see how everything goes I guess.

In the meantime, what have I been obsessing over recently? This little beauty

If you have any advice for me or stories about recruitment, I'd love to hear!

XOXO

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Please share your thoughts! Exercising the first amendment is always appreciated in my book.